This blog post is to support our webinar on planning your content marketing for maximum efficiency. For those who were unable to join us, we have embedded a recording below. We cover a lot of detail in this webinar, so there are also some notes below the recording.
Key takeaways from the session include:
- How to focus your content marketing around clearly defined objectives and KPIs
- How to analyse the data and research a winning content idea
- How to identify the most shareable content formats
- How to use a promotion strategy to amplify your content
Defining your KPIs
We wouldn’t recommend approaching Content Marketing from a direct sales angle. Sales come later, often via a different channel. e.g. links achieved to content = rise in search rankings for key terms which then can increase sales.
Using research to form winning content ideas
- Increases probability that your content will succeed
- Ensures you are not wasting time & budget on ‘losing’ ideas
- Research on influencers and content types at this stage can also help improve your content promotion
Try researching popular content and ask yourself the following questions:
- Are there common themes and subjects that do well?
- Can existing content be adapted? Bettered?
- Are there enough Influencers in the niche to amplify your content?
- Do some influencer websites only share certain types of content?
Promoting your content
- Content is nothing without an intelligent promotion strategy.
- Your content will only reach a finite amount of people if you only promote it through your owned media channels.
- Use targeted social media ads to massively expand the reach of your content.
- Influencer promotions can help you reach wider audiences, delivering more value from your content.
Dos and Don'ts of content marketing
- Use the ‘build it and they will come’ approach. Content creation is only half the job!
- Create content that only you and your company care about. Consider the interests of your personas!
- Promote your own products and services
- Use an advertorial tone of voice
- Try and be innovative but realistic
- Focus on quality over quantity
- Research what types of content your influencers are more likely to share/link to
- Consider incentives, get feedback, get input pre content creation
- Educate, entertain, inform