Toys ‘R’ Us
An entertainment portal for the world's leading toy retailer.
Setting the scene
Toys R Us wanted to create an entertainment portal for children and parents to interact with games, puzzles and videos provided by toy brands such as Lego and Hot Wheels.
The project was a joint initiative by the eCommerce Directors from France, Germany and the UK.
A number of business benefits were identified:
- It would provide an extension to their online shop where visitors could have fun while improving brand awareness of their main product lines.
- As a content marketing piece it would provide valuable inbound links
- Links into the shop would drive sales
"In true Quba fashion, they completed the project on budget, on scope and on-time"
There were three key criteria for the project:
- It had to be secure for children to use unaccompanied
- It had to be responsive working across desktop, tablet and mobile
- It had to be multilingual
Early on we developed a prototype so we could ensure from a usability perspective that it was easy to use and that the responsive elements worked effectively.
We ensured the design followed Toys R Us brand guidelines whilst being visually stimulating and simple to interact with for younger users.
We built the portal using the Umbraco web platform which works well from a multilingual perspective.
The video and game content is served separately from a dedicated web server to ensure page load speeds are consistently fast.
To make it easy for new countries to be added we also spent time simplifying the back end. This means that Toys R Us could trial the Kids Entertainment Centre in different regions without needing to use significant internal time training their staff.